Worry is like a rocking chair, it's gives you something to do but gets you nowhere!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Bloomin' Tuesday and Gravel

This time of the year the gardens are really coming alive. My plant list is getting quite long, I have got to come up with a way to do my posts, paticular plants or colors or.....?
Like Dave said, there is so much to blog about this time of the year.
Today is Bloomin' Tuesday over at http://msgreenthumbjean.blogspot.com/ ..

Pansies
Dianthus
Petunia with Verbena
Petunias--I have added a lot of white this year.
Our city is just beautiful right now with the Azaleas, Dogwoods, Wisteria and Spirea blooming.
This is one of the Dogwoods in our yard.
Seriously, the Ranunculus are great plants. I keep hearing that they are expensive. The bulbs were ordered through the mail, 80 or so for 20 something dollars by Sidekick's Mom. She generously gave me 30 or so..now, if they come back next year...that will be a great deal!

First Clematis bloom of the season....many, many, more to come.This Gerbera was transplanted about 3 weeks ago...guess it likes it's new home.
Newly purchased Gerbera Daisies.
Snapdragons I started from seed are beginning to bloom. I was telling Grace that I didn't really care for the pastel colors of them.....think I changed my mind.




My husband, Ms. Doris and myself just knew this Iris would be purple or blackish from the deep color the bud was..
What color would you say this is? Anyone know it's name....interesting color is all I can think when I look at it. Wonder if the others will be the same?
"The Path Of Grace" still needs some work, it's getting there. Don't you just love the electrical pole? Working on that too...
My husband worked all day Saturday on "The Path Of Grace" and the parking area...He did say, after 10 or so trips of gravel in the wheelbarrow, "How about the path of Rusty"....?

Yesterday I worked on the parking area..
Three Glossy Privet Brillante Ligustrum some giant Liriope purchased from Lowes. The tree was from the County a year and a half ago...we can't recall it's name...looks very similar to the plum we removed from here...sigh, I'm allergic to plums...
See the strip of grass between the parking area and the little garden bed to the left? Don't get attached to it. Gonna smother it too..Across the driveway is part of the full sun garden

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today I am Thankful that after 6 or so years, our yard and gardens are coming together.

Doesn't happen overnight does it?

35 comments:

Cher' Shots said...

Im GREEN with envy ~ we're just now seeing the first signs of life that follows winter. However; I have picked up seed packets and am about to get my hands in the dirt; even if that means starting seedlings.

George said...

I think your garden is absolutely beautiful. We've been working on the landscaping at our house for nearly six years and it doesn't look nearly as good as yours. The iris has a very interesting color. I have no idea what the name is.

Nancy's Notes said...

Oh goodness, what gorgeous flowers! Your garden is truly awesome, thanks for sharing!

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Your blooms are gorgeous! Our spring flowers are just now getting up and going. I love that Iris. Very interesting color. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Sherrie's Stuff

Anonymous said...

Gosh. What a lot of work. But what a lot of beauty. And you got a tractor too. That helps.

Tom - 7th Street Cottage said...

I'm not the only one who's been busy. Beautiful flowers. Love the path. Going to have to build even more beds soon, right?

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

What an embarrassment of riches - I especially love the Dogwood! The Iris is an interesting color, I'd call that bronze or copper.

Dani said...

Coming along great Darla!

Amy said...

You do have a lot of blooms and I love them all! Your gravel path looks nice and I bet a lot of work!

Becca's Dirt said...

Darla it is so beautiful. All of the hard work shows in all of the beautiful gardens that you have. Like Cher'Shots said - I am green with envy too.

Ami said...

All your flowers look so beautiful! I especially love all those different colors of snapdragon. I only have one with bright pink color. That iris color is quite unique and pretty. Sorry I can not help out with the name though....

Your garden really looks very beautiful. With all those new projects, I am sure you will enjoy it even more.

Noelle Johnson said...

Oh, I just love your blue pansies with the butterfly. I just can't seem to capture great photos of butterflies....
I also like the planter with the white petunias, spilling over.

Paula said...

I love all your flowers! I would say you are about 2 months ahead of us.
I am so impressed you planted your own snap dragons.
I would love to know what the "path of grace" is? SOunds very intriging.
I would love a post that shows your whole gardens, it sounds like you have several and it woule be great to see them.
So glad you joind blooming Tuesday today - so fun to see your garden. Thanks for sharing! Paula from Idaho

Paula said...

oh p.s. I have an iris that color and the tag called it "Root Beer"

Patsy said...

You have a lot to be happy about in your garden. It looks great.
Patsy

imac said...

Beautiful flowers Darla and LOTS of hard work.

Hope the weeds dont grow thru the gravel,lol.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Darla: Simply amazing all that you have going in your yard. Love the butterfly capture. I have seen a few white ones flitting through.

Anonymous said...

Darla, I just love the color of your iris, and the path and parking area look great. I am beginning to work on my pots now. Ms. Doris

Anne Fannie said...

Hi Darla, all your blooms are so pretty! Your gravel path way is coming out great.
I love your Ranunculus. I only had a few of them survive the gophers. Have you ever been to the flowers garden down in Carlsbad, CA? That is where they grow the Ranunculus. There are acres in full bloom of Ranunculus.
Happy Blooming Tuesday..
~Ann

Lola said...

You are so fortunate that your garden is that far along. Mine isn't. I think I live in a hole where the weather isn't like the surrounding area.
I love all your flowers. All the color. I don't think a garden is ever completely done.

Lona said...

Eww I like your bed along your new parking space now. And the Path of Grace is looking good. What does one do with electric poles? I have one of those too.And a gas meter that plagues me to death.I would hide it good if they didn't have to read the thing. LOL! I love your white petunias flowing from your tipsy pots.

sweetbay said...

What a unqiue and beautifully colored iris. I love your Snapdragons too.

Shelley said...

I wish I could fly you over to my cabin and have you design our landscaping, what flowers to have, etc! Everything is so beautiful at your place!!

Jean said...

You have really been working! All your blooms are lovely as always. I'm amazed at the luck you have with seeds. Love all the snap dragons! Jean

Dirt Princess said...

LOOKING good!!!! You have been busy and it has paid off as usual

Dorothy said...

So many comments today, you hardly need mine!!! Just wanted to say WOW,and double WOW! Your flowers are looking so good!!! Also tell Rusty he is doing a great job with the path and drive!

Twisted Fencepost said...

Definitely coming together.
It's gonna look great!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh Darla, your flowers are so pretty... The Pansies are fabulous, and I cannot believe that you have a Clematis blooming. Ours are just popping out of the ground!!!!

We have two similar Irises to your new one, but I checked and neither of ours is exactly the same color. We have one named Cable Car --which is a copper color and we have a very dark maroon (almost black) one named Hellfire. Sorry I can't help you... That is a pretty color of the Iris ---and looks like a tan/pink combo...

Love the Snapdragons --especially the pastels.

Hugs,
Betsy

RURAL said...

Darla, hard to believe that you had that killing frost not too long ago isn't it?

Your plants are looking beautiful.

Jen

Julie said...

Now, see...your Iris looks like what an Iris should look like to me! That one I saw had a different bloom and that is why I had no idea what it was. The color of yours is very different...maybe they list it on that one website I posted...I will have to go see if they describe the color!!! Turns out my SIL had them in her screenroom for year (she just e-mailed me after reading my blog)...but she has gotten rid of them to make way for orchids and others she wanted.

All your gardens look fantastic! What a good hubby... doing all that work!!!

Take care, Darla...Julie

Julie said...

I just looked through 1000 Iris photos and I think I found yours! It is called DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY!!! Note the price...you have a very expensive plant there!!!!! Congratulations on your beauty!!

Julie said...

Oh...I forgot about the root beer scent. I found a forum who claims only a few (like three) Irises that have that smell. You are sure yours smells like that??? The one named Gingersnap is root beer scented, but is more brown than yours...hmmm...well...see what you think of the one I found in my last comment.
It sure is pretty!!!

Darla said...

Julie, I haven't found one exactly the shade of mine, even the Dance the Night Away is darker. Yes mam it smells like root beer I promise on a stack of bibles heaven high!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Darla Dear, My fingers are crossed for the return of your ranunculus next year.

Come August, if you're like me, the idea of pastels will have faded. It's a spring thing, don't you agree? I can see your attraction to these beauties.

Nice work on the Path... It looks great already!

Color of the iris? A tawny coral?

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Beautiful! I forgot to say I enjoyed the photo of you bent in half.