Worry is like a rocking chair, it's gives you something to do but gets you nowhere!

Saturday, April 3, 2010

A Good Friday Like No Other!

Almost as exciting as the truck load of mushroom compost my husband had delivered. Our driveway is a half circle between the two streets that we live on. We have been parking on the grass as to let friends and family members drive through so they wouldn't have to back out onto the street.
Needless to say it makes for ugly grass. My husband is going to make a gravel parking area.



BUT, not before the youngest medium kid and sidekick have some fun.

Youngest medium kid, middle medium kid and Sidekick sending all of you a 'Hello' wave.

Another form of rock climbing?


When the 'He's a Keeper' husband got home from work...did he start on the parking area?

The 'Keeper' knew that I have been wanting a gravel path between my full sun garden and the Island area after admiring Grace's gravel paths for a year now. More photos as it comes together. It will be rightfully named and tagged..."The Path Of Grace." Please visit her blog at http://www.gracepete.com/ she is a walking encyclopedia of gardening knowledge and words with a refreshing twist of humor.
As if that wasn't exciting enough. I was in the grocery store last week when I ran into the husband of Ms. Doris Three Doors Down. He was explaining how he had built his Mom a standing planter so she could easily reach and tend to some vegetable plants. He told me he took Ms. Doris to see it and she said she wanted one, so of course my mouth blurted out, "Well, I want one." And the conversation continued on how to properly plant tomatoes, we checked out and said our see you laters. As my husband and I were chatting about the gravel, who comes walking down our driveway with this on a dolly! I had to wipe the tears from my eyes and the brief Thank you and hug just didn't seem to be enough...So, Mr. Allen, husband of Ms. Doris, here is a THANK YOU for the entire world to see!! (It's even lined inside)
Okay, then I spotted a House Wren egg in my garden mailbox....

Ms. Doris, that Iris opened and it is not even close to any of the colors we guessed it might be...come by and see it....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today I am Thankful for good friends and 'Great' Neighbors!!

27 comments:

Cyndy said...

Congratulations on your new gravel! I inherited a gravel driveway here, and extended it to a gravel path through the front bed. Now I find lots of seedlings in the gravel (a good thing!)and it's a good spot for plants that love the heat. Have fun with it!

Dave said...

Looks like a little mountain biking to go along with the rock climbing! Hauling gravel is hard work - be extra nice to you husband this weekend! The standing planter is a neat idea!

Dorothy said...

You must have ONE of the sweetest, most thoughtful husbands around! So nice that he thought of you first! Hi kids!!! and Happy Easter!

George said...

You certainly do have great neighbors and a wonderful husband. No wonder he's a keeper! Have a very happy Easter.

Patsy said...

What a great family.
Happy Easter!
Patsy

Gail said...

A glorious weekend~~The path will be wonderful. Darla your neighbors seem like keepers, too! Happy Easter~gail
love the path's name and agree with you about Grace!

Anne Fannie said...

Hi Darla
How exciting to get gravel put on that driveway! I love the bird nesting, I just love to walk around my garden during spring and see all the bird's nest.
~Ann

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

A load of gravel is a great thing to get. Your path is going to be very nice and I look forward to seeing pictures of it and the driveway area.

What a nice thing for your neighbor to make you.

Have a lovely Easter ~ FlowerLady

Lona said...

Hi Darla. Your new Path of Grace will be wonderful. Your husband truly is a keeper. How great is that neighbor. I know you will enjoy the planter. Have a wonderful weekend and Happy Easter.

Jan said...

Oh, wow! I just stumbled upon your wonderful blog and was wondering if you do "rent-a-husband" - lol! I've been wanting a gravel drive from our parking at the barn to the actual driveway and have yet to get it! The planter is a marvelous idea too - you do have great neighbors!

Thank you for your gorgeous photos too!

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

Happy Easter!

Enjoy!
XOXO
Cathy

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Darla, You did have a fabulous Good Friday this year.... You have a wonderful hubby and terrific neighbors. BUT--someone as nice as you deserves it --all of it!!!!

Happy Easter.
Hugs,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

Well Darla~~ I must say I'm not surprised. Someone who gives as much as you do is going to be blessed with happy returns. [Karma or God's kindness...or both.] How nice that the path will have such an outstanding name. LOL. Kudos to hubby. Hauling gravel is not for the faint of heart. And kudos to Mr. Doris for being so kind.

Have a fabulous Easter.

Dirty Girl Gardening said...

I do not envy your having to move that gravel! Lots of work! :)

Dar said...

My Goodness Girl, We Darla's really ARE alike, more than we know. I also have a half circle driveway...how funny is that. I also have a Keeper hubby who unloaded red granite for the driveway and decorative stone for a path between the garage and the house and in front of the garage.
I love the picture of the kids playing on the rockpile...cool kids.

It looks like you live in a park. How fortunate is that?
We are lucky lil Darla's
Have a fab Easter Sunday as we Remember

Val said...

Well you have a good man to tackle that gravel. My hubby has trouble with his back from all that hard work but I can't seem to stop him. He has slowed down some though. You are blessed to have a neighbor like that. Ask Mr. Allen if he would like to move to Ga.??? I need a neighbor like that.

Chandramouli S said...

Ahhh! Your hubby's sweet! I'm sure the kids were more excited than you. What wonderful gift from Nature for Easter! Happy Easter!

L. D. said...

He's a keeper should be still sore from all that work. I raked a couple of days in a row and I thought did I get any exercise over the winter. You are going to enjoy it all.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Darla: Neat photos and a fun post, King of the mountain.

Bonnie said...

Your path is going to be wonderful. I really love the gift from Mr. Allen.

Roses and Lilacs said...

Sometimes I have to laugh when other gardeners tell me what their best gifts are. A load of gravel or mulch, a new walkway or a garden tool, we are so easy to please:) Enjoy your new gravel walkways.
Marnie

Lois said...

That gravel pile sure was a kid magnet! It was a beautiful weekend wasn't it? I hope you all had a wonderful Easter.

imac said...

Hello my friend, Happy Easter.

Ami said...

Wow, you have beautiful kids, sweet husband, and best friend! Congratulations for your new gravel path, and later a gravel parking area, AND a standing planter!!! It is a wonderful thing when you feel love surrounding you!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

What a great day you had! I get excited about things like a load of gravel and I know my friends think I'm nuts. What a great husband to have put the path in as well!
The planter is wonderful, what a sweet gift.

Tootsie said...

oh this is exciting!!! I love yard projects!!! I am sorry for being so late to my own party...what a weekend! thanks for linking in girlie...luv your garden...and love that box!!! lucky girl!

Twisted Fencepost said...

You are lucky and SO blessed to have friends and neighbors like that!!